Friday, August 13, 2010

One Really Bad Day


Yesterday was one of the worst days EVER! Overall, Leah and I were just having a bad day and then things took a turn for the worst. I went to bed last night feeling like a horrible mother. Here's what happened...

Leah and I were at home playing. I was picking up around the house and she was poking around behind me. She then toddled off into the office. When I went in to see what she was doing, she was standing in the closet. I thought to myself "Ohh, she's pooping." And I said to her "Do you need some privacy?" and she answered "Yes." So I walked out of the office, kind of laughing at the fact that she ran away and hid to do her business. 10 seconds later I hear a loud crash and something breaking and Leah is screaming. I ran into the office and she wasn't in there. I followed her screams to her bedroom and found her trapped underneath her bookcase. She had pulled it over on top of herself. I dragged her out and gave her a full body inspection and she appeared to be unharmed. Thank God. As scary and awful as the whole thing was, it could have been a lot worse. Luckily the bookcase itself wasn't that heavy, and even though it was full of books and her piggy bank was on the top, she didn't have a scratch on her. Obviously it really scared her and me both. If that wasn't bad enough, things actually got worse...
It took a while to clean up the mess from the bookcase. Her piggy-bank shattered and there was broken ceramic and change everywhere. But after we cleaned that up we decided to play outside. I was feeling bad about the whole accident and wanted to do something special to make it up to her. So, I thought I would paint her toenails. So I got out the polish and she willingly stuck her foot out, eager for me to make her toes pretty like mine. Unfortunately after painting only one toe it was obvious that she was still too little because she kept trying to touch the polish and was getting it all over her foot and her hands. I quickly decided to bag this idea and I ran inside and got the polish remover. I put a little on a tissue and went to work cleaning her up. And it typical toddler fashion Leah snagged the cap to the polish remover and put it straight into her mouth before I had a chance to stop her. She immediately started gagging and coughing. So I ran her inside to clean out her mouth and she started vomiting. EVERYWHERE! Projectile vomiting! I totally poisoned her! Once she stopped I got her cleaned up and called poison control. The dispatcher said that since she didn't ingest a large amount of the nail polish remover, and she vomited any that made it into her stomach, she wasn't in need of medical attention. The nurse in me, knew she was fine. The mother in me wanted to run her straight to the ER. Poison control said that the main concern would be dehydration if she continued to vomit, which she didn't. So in just a few short hours my daughter was almost injured by a bookcase and poisoned with nail polish remover. Like I said...it was a bad day. Even though both incidents were accidents I feel like a horrible, neglectful mother. I know that bad things are going to happen, but that was just a little more than I can take for one day.

I was able to take a few pictures of her later in the day. Just some proof that she survived the day. She woke up this morning a happy girl and we had a great day together.




3 comments:

Auntie J said...

Kendra,

Don't beat yourself up. You are a great mom, Leah is getting to that age where she will test and test and test you. Hang in there because you and Jed are raising one terrific girl. Now that a terrible day is behind you and nothing serious happened you've got that one out of the way. Only good things from here out. Love you!

Jen

{love, mj.} said...

She looks SOOO Sassy in those pictues! Man, so i am glad i was not the only one that had a rough friday the 13th! Thank goodness she is ok! If it makes you feel better, my baby will be doing things like that pretty soon! then we can swap stories over lunch, because we seriously need to get together!

The Atondo's said...

Holy crap dude. Bad day. I have had many. Don't feel like a bad mom...feel normal. :) Miss ya!