Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Potty Training


Ethan has been asking to sit on the potty for months now. He strips down, sits on the potty for a grand total of 10 seconds, says "all done," grabs some TP and flushes. Nothing ever makes it into the potty and he usually only asks to do it if he sees me or Leah going. But while camping this past weekend Grandma was taking Leah to the bathroom and Ethan wanted to sit on the potty too. Honestly if it were me, I wouldn't have let Ethan sit on a nasty campground potty just for practice, but hey, I couldn't be there...Anyway, it turned out he really did have to go and he actually pooped on the potty! Wahoo or just coincidence? And then, believe it or not, the next time Leah went potty, Ethan accompanied her, and he did it again! Twice! He was so excited to call me from the campground and tell me that he pooped in the potty. I honestly did not think we were ready for potty training. But if he's ready, I am too. So on my next day off, we went to the store and bought Ethan his first pair of big boy underwear! He picked them out himself and was so excited! Toys story...of course!

When we got home, I had to bribe him with a sucker to try them on...that should have been my first clue :( Within about 20 minutes Ethan was standing over a wet spot on the carpet saying "uh oh!" Ok, that had to happen. He had to learn what would happen if he pottied in his underwear. Shortly after that, I started talking on the phone (my second mistake) while I was putting dinner in the oven. The kids were playing "quietly" and watching a show (What the hell?! If I hadn't been talking on the phone I would have noticed such strange behavior) and a little while later Ethan comes running over saying "Up Momma! Up!" asking me to hold him, so I scoop him up and what do I get? Oh yeah, you guessed it! An arm full of poop! And that marked the end of Ethan's first attempt at potty training :)




1 comment:

Nikki and Tipper said...

Pretty sure you were on the phone with me...oops! He looks cute anyways!