Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ethan's One Month Old



My sweet little man is one month old today. It sure has been a memorable month, full of many highs and lows. And even though I would say that this has been one of the most challenging months of my life, it has all been worth it. Because look at what I have :) Ethan is such an amazing kid. He has exceeded every one's expectations. And we are so blessed to have such a strong healthy little boy! I count my lucky stars each and every day! Here are some fun facts about Ethan at one month and a little comparison with Leah at the same age :)

Ethan is working hard on breast feeding. There have been a few obstacles that we are working to overcome, but he is doing really well. He eats approximately every 3 hours around the clock, even in the middle of the night. That is thanks to his stay in the NICU. He was on a very exact schedule of diaper changes and feedings every 3 hours and he has continued that schedule since coming home. Right now he breast feeds first, with the help of a nipple shield, then takes a bottle of breast milk that is fortified with Neosure to add some extra calories. The whole process takes about an hour and after it's all said and done, I still have to pump. I am very proud of the fact that he has never had any formula. After giving birth to Leah I was only able to nurse her for about 3 weeks, thanks to a horrible breast infection that spiraled out of control. I felt like a total breast feeding failure. But that experience made me realize how much I wanted to breast feed Ethan and I was determined to succeed. And even though my breast infection reared it's ugly head, yet again, I have been able to stick with it.

This is what we call "Milk Drunk!"



Ethan is in between clothing sizes right now. His preemie clothes fit except in length. He is so long that anything that has feet on it doesn't work anymore. But his newborn clothes are still a little big. It just depends. But he is still wearing a size preemie diaper, with room to grow.

Ethan is a very good sleeper. He is starting to become more and more alert, but still spends the majority of his time sleeping. And he will sleep just about anywhere. But he spends the majority of time in his swing and his bouncy seat. At night he sleeps in his bassinet next to my bed. And like I said before he wakes about every three hours to eat. Ethan definetly likes to be swaddled. The NICU introduced me to the Halo Sleep Sac/Swaddle and it is awesome. Ethan had some difficulty maintaining his temperature and this keeps him warm and snuggled. He loves it.

Ethan does like a passy from time to time. His favorite is his doggy passy :)


Ethan



Ethan's Stats:

Weight: 5 Pounds 5 Ounces
Length: 19 Inches
Head Circumference: 32 cm

Leah



Leah's Stats:

Weight: 5 pounds 13 ounces -
Length: 18 3/4 inches

4 comments:

Beautiful Warrior said...

Wow... one month already! Way to breastfeed, Mommy, despite all the obstacles. I was so disappointed when I couldn't exclusively nurse Layla that I was willing to do ANYTHING to make it work with Micah - and it did! There is nothing like it. You are such a dedicated and loving Mommy!

Modern Family said...

He is so adorable; congratulations!

McDermaid Fam said...

It is amazing how much he has changed in just 1 month. He is gonna start chunking up soon ; ) Him and Leah definately resemble each other (now that I see Leahs pic when she was that age). Glad that things are hopefully getting back to normal. You have the cutest little family

The Atondo's said...

Good JOB MAMA!!! You are a breastfeeding super star!