Every four hours Leah had to receive a breathing treatment and be suctioned.
.jpg)
It has been rough. Jed and I stayed with her during the day and the first night, I attempted to stay by myself. That did not go well. I lasted 2 hours before I was calling Jed, practically in tears, asking him to come back. Jed and I took turns sleeping in the twin sized hospital bed and sitting in the rocking chair with Leah. At one point we were able to put her in the hospital crib, but she didn't last long.


So we rocked her all night. And to top it all off Leah's IV was in the crook of her arm, so if she didn't hold her arm completely straight, the pump would beep loudly. Bad night. The next morning Grandma Jeni came to the rescue. Since it was just to hard to have only one person in the room with Leah. Jed and I took turns going home to nap. Jeni stayed with me for 2.5 hours and helped take care of Leah. While Jed napped and then Jed came back and he stayed home at the hospital with Jeni and Leah.
When the MD came in to assess her, he wanted Leah to spend another night in the hospital. She wouldn't be able to be discharged until she was able to sleep on room air without a decrease in her O2 levels. So we were in it for another night. Yikes!
That night we tried to have a better plan. Grandma Jeni went to work for a few hours and then her and Grandpa "Papa" came back to relieve us. Grandma and Papa stayed with Leah from 7:30 to Midnight and Jed and I were able to go home and sleep. It was so nice. By that time Leah was feeling well enough to play with Grandpa...


Grandma and Grandpa had successfully gotten Leah to sleep in her crib. Woot! Woot! Jed slept in the hospital bed and on and off in the rocker from midnight to five. And I went home. I felt like kind of an ass, but it seemed silly to stay if Leah was going to sleep well and in her crib.
So now it is early morning. Leah is sleeping, Jed is sleeping and I am blogging about this experience. Hopefully we will be able to go home today. Leah has been off her oxygen all night and her levels have been in the high 90's. Her IV was discontinued, and she was switched to oral antibiotics. She was still suctioned and received a breathing treatment every four hours, and unfortunately that will continue until they are no longer removing large amounts of secretions. Gross! So...that's the story. Keep your fingers crossed, cuz we wanna go home :)

1 comment:
Oh my goodness! How scary! I'm so glad she is feeling better!
Post a Comment